Darker days see me wanting more comforting food. Nothing beats good bread for comfort food; whether it’s still warm from baking alongside a bowl of soup or a thickly buttered doorstep topped with home-made jam, it’s food for the soul as well as the stomach. This loaf isn’t quite as rich as my Honey and Walnut Loaf but it’s still good autumn fare.
As usual the instructions are for a bread machine, my hands and kneading bread don’t mix well.
For a medium loaf
- ¾ teaspoon dried yeast
- 4 oz barley flour
- 10 oz strong wholewheat flour
- ½ oz butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon heather honey (it really is worth using heather honey if you can get it)
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 300ml water
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
Put all the ingredients except the sunflower and pumpkin seeds in your bread pan, in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
Select the Whole Wheat Raisin setting.
Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds at the raisin beep.