Despite planning ahead and making sure I had all the ingredients I didn’t quite get around to trying a new recipe this week. So, instead of writing about someone else’s recipe here’s a really simple one of mine, though not one to eat!
The ones on the left are very rose, the ones on the right are rose and sandalwood. I also plan to make some with sandalwood and patchouli, some with lemon and eucalyptus, and some Christmassy spiced orange ones. To be honest I’ll probably just keep experimenting with scents as the mood takes me.
For the rose bath melts, I made 18 of these
240g cacao butter (that’s the easiest size tub to source locally)
100ml sweet almond oil
45 drops rose essential oil at 5% dilution (adjust if yours is a different strength)
18 teaspoons (1 per bath melt) dried rose petals
For the rose and sandalwood bath melts, I made 12
240g cacao butter
100ml sweet almond oil
30 drops rose essential oil at 5% dilution
5-10 drops sandalwood essential oil at 5% dilution
1 pinch rose petals per bath melt
Put the cacao butter and almond oil in a double boiler and heat gently, stirring continuously, until the cocoa butter is all melted and the oils are evenly mixed.
Add your choice of essential oils and stir well.
Pour into your choice of moulds or cases; I’ve used 1/2 to 2/3 filled cupcake cases but you could use petit fours cases or silicone moulds.
Add any flowers or herbs you are using. For them to be mixed through the bath melts add straight away; if you want them to be a finishing touch on the top wait an hour or so, until the melts are starting to set.
Normally if I have a day at home on my own there seem to be a never ending procession of chores that I need to catch up with, sometimes though I get a day when all I need to do is whatever I want to do; yesterday was one of the latter. I’ve been wanting to make more use of the mint from the garden so I started the day by finding a recipe for apple and mint jelly, simmering the fruit with a bunch of mint and leaving it to strain for several hours while I did other things.
Next on the to do list was setting the bread maker to work. I only needed to bake for me this week so I decided to indulge myself with Carrot and Fennel Bread from The Cook’s Encyclopedia of Bread Machine Baking. First grate your carrots! Then decide on a couple of tweaks to the recipe; I don’t have skimmed milk powder (or even almond milk powder at the moment) and I’ve not been keen on the texture of other loaves I’ve used sunflower oil in, so I replaced the oil with goats’ butter and ignored the powdered milk altogether. Then it was a case of letting the machine do it’s thing. Four hours later this loaf was the deliciously scented and rather tasty result:
Coffee was my next priority and, as the kitten was sleeping, I decided to spend an hour knitting while I indulged in my caffeine habit. I’ve a couple of projects on the needles to choose from but I’d rather like to have the current scarf project finished to give as a birthday present later this month, though realistically it might end up as a Christmas present. I’m enjoying the slightly crazy yarn I’m working with even though I’m experiencing a touch of mid-point tedium with the project itself. I suspect it’s the type of yarn you either love or hate, I’m fairly confident the intended recipient will love it.
From the sofa back to the kitchen to make bath melts. I came up with the basic recipe for these several months ago, and have enjoyed some myself and gifted others. As I was finishing my coffee prior to making yesterday’s batch I received a hint from the last person I made some for that they might like some for Christmas, I think this is a recipe I should be writing up!
After making the bath melts and putting them aside to set I stopped for a late lunch before doing the dishes. It’s amazing how much easier washing up is when you’re doing it to create the space to do something fun rather than just because it needs to be done! A bit more knitting and some play time with the cats had to be fitted in, then it was time to make the jelly. Chopping the mint that was going to be mixed in at the end took quite some time but eventually I was happy that I had enough and that it was fine enough. Jars went into the oven and jelly making proper began. This was a slightly experimental jelly in that I was using my sugar thermometer to tell me when it was at setting point; normally I test for set using the chilled plate technique but, since it was a relatively small batch and I would have time in the week to reboil it if needs be, I thought it a worthwhile experiment. Initially it did seem quite liquid in but today it looks like it has set properly, obviously the true test will come when we sample it. I have to say, I think it looks rather pretty in the jars, hopefully it will taste as good as it looks.